Posted: 2005-04-18 / Author:
Leadership For Women Business OwnersOnly 12% of parliamentary seats across the world are held by women
In all UK listed companies, less than 1% of Chair people are women Overall, 4% of directorships are held by women
Women earn, on average, 18% less than their male counterparts
BUT: Women in self-employment rose from 3% in 1979 to 26% in 1999
One third of all SME’s are set up by women
Businesses run by women are more likely to survive (Labour Market Survey)
Purpose of Class
Women have the skills and capabilities to be highly successful leaders and managers. Women need to achieve their goals their own way – being a successful leader and manager does not mean behaving like a man.
1. Leadership for woman involves setting your own agendas, gaining skills, increasing self-confidence, solving problems and developing self-reliance
2. Men and women leaders will have the same goals but will take different paths to reach those goals.
3. Women are taught to support power – not exercise it.
4. Perceived weaknesses and roles can be turned around into strengths
5. Confidence and credibility are fundamentals of successful leadership. Projecting confidence and credibility are skills that can be learned
Five Questions This Class Will Answer?
1. How can you overcome stereotyping and resistance?
2. How do you assert your position without feeling the need to be aggressive or authoritarian?
3. How do you develop strategies to overcome how others might see you and your role?
4. How can you use your vocabulary and non-verbal signals to project confidence and power?
5. How can you handle confrontation confidently and professionally?
Five Common Problems This Class Can Help You To Overcome?
1. Some colleagues and customers won’t take you seriously or give you the proper respect
2. Some people are prejudiced and prefer to deal with a man
3. Women leaders think they need to be infallible and unemotional
4. Some women leaders and managers feel disadvantaged in confrontations
5. Some women leaders and managers take setbacks personally and fail to move on