View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 New Ping G20 fairway wood Are Really Attractive 

Post New Ping G20 fairway wood Are Really Attractive
I just happen to be in McIlroy's hometown this week, on a different assignment. A local club soccer team, the Bangor Rangers, is staying at my hotel, and on Monday night I met three of the players with Ping G20 fairway wood as discount golf clubs: Andy Railes and Dan McCracken, both 26 and from up the road in Bangor, and Rabb McKee, 36, of Belfast. They're all Protestants, and if forced to choose a side, they all said they would play for Great Britain. They also said that they don't care where McIlroy's loyalty ultimately lies.

McDowell, who was raised Protestant but whose mother is Catholic, told me in an interview a couple of years ago that he, like McIlroy, has never felt the need to pick sides. "I wasn't brought up with that us-against-them kind of vibe," he said. "I was very sheltered from it all." But when it comes to golf with cheap Ping G20 fairway wood, he added, his allegiance does lean toward Ireland, a result of his playing junior golf for the Golfing Union of Ireland. We got what we paid for: a grunt from the cashier (yes, there was a cashier), greens as woolly as a mammoth and a four-group backup on the first tee.

"We only have one team in Ireland; there's no North and South," McDowell said. "So I grew up wanting to wear the Irish blazer -- the green and the gold. It didn't matter to me what religion I was, or what religion my teammates were. I wanted to play golf with Ping G20 fairway wood for Ireland. To me, though, sport has no religious boundaries. It has no political boundaries. Sport is just sport." Today that town-run track is called Robert T. Lynch Municipal Golf Course, and greens fees start at $30. But when I was growing up, it was Putterham Meadows, and it cost two bucks for me and my friends to play.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]